Why support CalTeach-SMI?
More than 86% of UCR undergraduate students receive some form of financial assistance to pursue their undergraduate degrees. Please consider supporting CalTeach-SMI today to allow these students to go beyond their academic goals. Your contributions will allow them to:
- Develop professional networking systems
- Conduct early fieldwork
- Participate in hands-on teaching opportunities
- Become emerging leaders in California school districts and communities
- Meet admissions requirements for teaching credential programs
How does CalTeach-SMI support STEM students in their exploration into STEM teaching?
- Provides multiple pathways to enter into its program.
- Offers specialized courses that include introductions to teaching as a profession, cultural diversity, and educational psychology.
- Provides field experiences in middle and high school STEM classrooms in the local area with supervised mentor teachers focused on discipline-specific teaching methods.
- Encourages early professional development experiences through conferences, credential program recruitment fairs, and various network-building activities.
- Offers a variety of financial support resources, including scholarships and reimbursement funding to offset out-of-pocket expenses related to becoming eligible for entrance into teaching credential programs (e.g., fieldwork travel expenses, state-required teaching examination fees, etc.).